Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

The Book of Shadows

Re: New RPG: The Book of Shadows

Postby Lady JJ » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:52 pm

I just wanted to say I'm enjoying this game very much. It has a definite 'Millenium' feel to it (and that's a compliment to both B Gillesp and Indy). I always look for a good story line and character development in a game. I'm not sure how a story is going to be told without some dialogue and reading. For those who don't like the dialogue, I will say that there is much less reading as the chapters progress. I am exploring the Crossroads area right now and about ready to head to Blackmire. There is just so much to do! +::biggrin and so many people to talk to. I like that the monsters (and they are visible monsters for those who shy away from invisible monster games) respawn in areas, but less so than the first entry. It gives a nice balance to the game where you're able to level a bit if you'd like but you're not constantly engaging in battle. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
Lady JJ
Bounty Hunter

Postby poshpaws » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:42 pm

I just wanted to also add how much I am enjoying this game too. There is so much to explore and do. It's very good value. One small glitch I've encountered is when I am down in the mine in the Riverdale area. Sometimes when walking in to the monsters to start a battle the screen just goes blank and the game crashes?
Last edited by poshpaws on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
poshpaws
Bard

Postby darkange » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:02 pm

@bgillisp just wanted to add that I am playing the demo right now and the game is really good so far - I reached that area where my party was telling me not to fight the skeletons - I also play on max difficulty - " 3 " - I didn't listened to them and engaged the skeletons - the simple ones are actually easy even on max difficulty ... the hard ones were true alphas but I still owned their asses eventually - took me at least 10 minutes per every alpha skeleton battle lol- hint : Cedric and his counter hits skill is the key - that skill is OP in my opinion .... if I can own those skeletons I can probably own everything now :P - made some decent levels off of them too .

Also I like that even if 3 of your characters die in battle and you win the battle with one character ... the others gain the experience too - really nice thing to add - now I know I can win a battle with only Cedric being alive +::biggrin
I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I am done.
(David Goggins)
darkange
Bounty Hunter

Postby sjr223 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:04 pm

I am after where Sarah says to head back to the Magi Tower. I have gone to the waterfall in the Earth Cave, but nothing happens there? I only see one waterfall where you can use stones to get to. ?
sjr223
Bard

Postby bgillisp » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 pm

Kat wrote:I have 2 monitors. I want to have the game open on one and the guide on the other one but when the game is full screen I can't move the cursor to the other monitor. Is there any way to do this?

I honestly don't know if that can be done, as that is dependent on hardware setups. I usually just put them both on the same monitor and ALT+TAB to the other one as needed.

Lady JJ wrote:I just wanted to say I'm enjoying this game very much. It has a definite 'Millenium' feel to it (and that's a compliment to both B Gillesp and Indy). I always look for a good story line and character development in a game. I'm not sure how a story is going to be told without some dialogue and reading. For those who don't like the dialogue, I will say that there is much less reading as the chapters progress. I am exploring the Crossroads area right now and about ready to head to Blackmire. There is just so much to do! +::biggrin and so many people to talk to. I like that the monsters (and they are visible monsters for those who shy away from invisible monster games) respawn in areas, but less so than the first entry. It gives a nice balance to the game where you're able to level a bit if you'd like but you're not constantly engaging in battle. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Thanks! I do have a couple monsters you can't see coming I should mention, but they are still a fixed number of them. You'll encounter them in Blackmire for the first time actually. And I have it set so that usually in a dungeon 2 - 6 stacks will respawn if you leave and come back, that's in case you wish to grind some. And, in Chapter 9 you'll be able to go explore an optional cave where every monster stack respawns in case you wish to grind to level 99.

poshpaws wrote:I just wanted to also add how much I am enjoying this game too. There is so much to explore and do. It's very good value. One small glitch I've encountered is when I am down in the mine in the Ravendale area. Sometimes when walking in to the monsters to start a battle the screen just goes blank and the game crashes?

I haven't heard of that happening yet. Do you get any message at all? Or does it just stop responding?

darkange wrote:@bgillisp just wanted to add that I am playing the demo right now and the game is really good so far - I reached that area where my party was telling me not to fight the skeletons - I also play on max difficulty - " 3 " - I didn't listened to them and engaged the skeletons - the simple ones are actually easy even on max difficulty ... the hard ones were true alphas but I still owned their asses eventually - took me at least 10 minutes per every alpha skeleton battle lol- hint : Cedric and his counter hits skill is the key - that skill is OP in my opinion .... if I can own those skeletons I can probably own everything now :P - made some decent levels off of them too .

Also I like that even if 3 of your characters die in battle and you win the battle with one character ... the others gain the experience too - really nice thing to add - now I know I can win a battle with only Cedric being alive +::biggrin

Cedric can be OP at times, but there are monsters he won't be able to hurt later on with physical attacks so you will need other strategies eventually. But you might be able to get halfway through Chapter 3 with that strategy before things change.

And yes, KO is removed at end of battle so anyone KO'd comes back with 1 HP after fights and still gains the EXP for that fight. I figured that way if someone was KO'd on the last turn of a boss they didn't get cheated out of a big chunk of EXP.

sjr223 wrote:I am after where Sarah says to head back to the Magi Tower. I have gone to the waterfall in the Earth Cave, but nothing happens there? I only see one waterfall where you can use stones to get to. ?

The waterfall is to the north, walk up and into it. Then go inside the teleporter that you see.
bgillisp
Mercenary

Postby darkange » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:35 am

the history of this game is very deep and detailed - I am problably one of the few that read all the books with patience in that library in magi tower - I really enjoyed learning about it and honestly I rarely read about history in general - I don't know how but you made it captivating somehow for me - this game has great potential so far and it is very detailed - it reminds me of old detailed games like Millenium and Laxius series .

This is how most turn based rpgs should be in my opinion. Attention to every aspect/complex mechanics/great and enriching storyline plus side quests should be at the core of an rpg.
I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I am done.
(David Goggins)
darkange
Bounty Hunter

Postby littlebro » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:10 am

I'm really enjoying the game, lots of attention to detail, plenty to do in addition to taking the story forward, Lore optional so I can read it when I want, not have it dumped on me. I like the strategic aspects, it gives plenty of scope for experiment, and with plenty of viable options I don't feel like I'm being forced to find that one approach that the developer had in mind.

Fun fact: the steam/cloud wisps in Elmwood Lava Caves move in exact time to the music. Quite hypnotic after a while.

btw, has anyone found a way into the house to the west of the Lighthouse before you go onto the world map?
Last edited by littlebro on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
littlebro
Ranger

Postby poshpaws » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:23 am

When the game crashes there is no message. The screen just goes dark and then back to my desk top.
poshpaws
Bard

Postby feyone2 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:50 pm

I played the DEMO and really enjoyed and I've bought the game but it doesn't open at my last saved game. Do I have to start over or is it possible to import a file from the DEMO. I did try but it didn't seem to work but I might have done it wrong! Any suggestions?
feyone2
Bounty Hunter

Postby littlebro » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:54 pm

feyone2 wrote:I played the DEMO and really enjoyed and I've bought the game but it doesn't open at my last saved game. Do I have to start over or is it possible to import a file from the DEMO. I did try but it didn't seem to work but I might have done it wrong! Any suggestions?

The save files are in the folder where the game is. If the demo is in a separate folder, then you'll need to copy/paste the save files from that folder into the folder where the full game is.
littlebro
Ranger

Postby littlebro » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:00 pm

Me again.

Usually I'm quite good at finding Secret Rooms, but I've hit a wall on this.

I have all secret rooms up to and including #7. It seemed to me that they were numbered in the likely order to find them. However, I've just found #11. I've gone back over Crossroads to try and find 8, 9 and 10, but nothing.

Can anyone help me out, even if it's just a general indication?

Thanks.
littlebro
Ranger

Postby ZuluKat » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:14 pm

First, this game has the quality a great RPG game should have. The layering of the story line, hidden rooms, history of what's led up to present is all a very nice package! And I do love the story line of mixing 2 worlds!
One problem was in saving it was doubling, tripling and even quadrupling the number of saves. Which I've never seen happen before in a game. I don't really care about number of saves since I don't like having to replay an area after hours of playing but I thought you might want to know for those that worry about number of saves. Unless of course no one is having this problem or hasn't noticed.
Thank you for a great game and even the annoying characters one loves to kill when given the chance lol +::Thumbup +::clap
ZuluKat
Explorer

Postby bgillisp » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:44 pm

darkange wrote:the history of this game is very deep and detailed - I am problably one of the few that read all the books with patience in that library in magi tower - I really enjoyed learning about it and honestly I rarely read about history in general - I don't know how but you made it captivating somehow for me - this game has great potential so far and it is very detailed - it reminds me of old detailed games like Millenium and Laxius series .

This is how most turn based rpgs should be in my opinion. Attention to every aspect/complex mechanics/great and enriching storyline plus side quests should be at the core of an rpg.

Thank you. Believe it or not some of the lore came from old game ideas I had as a kid that I figured wouldn't make a fun RPG but might make a good backstory, so I put it in as the optional lore.

BTW, there are other chances to read the books if you missed them. They're also in the library in the Pit for instance.

littlebro wrote:I'm really enjoying the game, lots of attention to detail, plenty to do in addition to taking the story forward, Lore optional so I can read it when I want, not have it dumped on me. I like the strategic aspects, it gives plenty of scope for experiment, and with plenty of viable options I don't feel like I'm being forced to find that one approach that the developer had in mind.

Fun fact: the steam/cloud wisps in Elmwood Lava Caves move in exact time to the music. Quite hypnotic after a while.

btw, has anyone found a way into the house to the west of the Lighthouse before you go onto the world map?

Thank you! I've tried to keep it open to options for the player as much as possible. The house you can't enter at all. It's just decoration.

poshpaws wrote:When the game crashes there is no message. The screen just goes dark and then back to my desk top.

Odd. Just that one area? It might be the game can't read the monster data from the HD for some reason so it is just crashing, but usually that gives an error. I'll have to dig more into this one.

feyone2 wrote:I played the DEMO and really enjoyed and I've bought the game but it doesn't open at my last saved game. Do I have to start over or is it possible to import a file from the DEMO. I did try but it didn't seem to work but I might have done it wrong! Any suggestions?

Yes, copy the save into the directory for the full game. If that doesn't work let me know I can give you a Chapter 1 end save as well.
littlebro wrote:Me again.

Usually I'm quite good at finding Secret Rooms, but I've hit a wall on this.

I have all secret rooms up to and including #7. It seemed to me that they were numbered in the likely order to find them. However, I've just found #11. I've gone back over Crossroads to try and find 8, 9 and 10, but nothing.

Can anyone help me out, even if it's just a general indication?

Thanks.

8 9 and 10 are in the towns and other areas you can access after you arrive on the world map. 11 is the next one if you continue onto the plot. Usually they do go in order though but if you can explore and find them then the plot will use the next numbered one assuming you found all the ones you can explore and find first.

BTW, there is a nice reward if you find 45 of the 50, though you can't collect it until you get access to the town of Clearwind.

ZuluKat wrote:First, this game has the quality a great RPG game should have. The layering of the story line, hidden rooms, history of what's led up to present is all a very nice package! And I do love the story line of mixing 2 worlds!
One problem was in saving it was doubling, tripling and even quadrupling the number of saves. Which I've never seen happen before in a game. I don't really care about number of saves since I don't like having to replay an area after hours of playing but I thought you might want to know for those that worry about number of saves. Unless of course no one is having this problem or hasn't noticed.
Thank you for a great game and even the annoying characters one loves to kill when given the chance lol +::Thumbup +::clap

Thanks! I've had one other report of this, it might be the autosave script is adding to the counter by mistake. It's not supposed to save when you enter battle or change maps, only when I tell it to autosave it in an event (usually at key plot points), but maybe it's still adding 1 to the counter at those other points. I'll investigate more and see what is going on here.
bgillisp
Mercenary

Postby feyone2 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm at the Crossroads and everyone is in the Inn because of the storm and telling their stories. Kira is relating a story back in Elmwood but I can't find the way to resolve it. There is no mention in the guide to this part. Can someone help me please?
feyone2
Bounty Hunter

Postby bgillisp » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:06 pm

feyone2 wrote:I'm at the Crossroads and everyone is in the Inn because of the storm and telling their stories. Kira is relating a story back in Elmwood but I can't find the way to resolve it. There is no mention in the guide to this part. Can someone help me please?

Where are you in that story? The solution is to do the following:

Spoiler: show
Go into the house that she and Gaelin reside in (it's to the South of the church building), then to the 2nd floor. Once there, search under the bed, find a wardstone. Trigger the teleporter on the 2nd floor now that you got the wardstone.

Search the cabinet to get priest robes, make your way to the stairs. The rest is automatic.
bgillisp
Mercenary

PreviousNext

Return to Games from other Developers