Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

My thoughts on the game

Re: My thoughts on the game

Postby Cassiopeia » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:50 pm

Yes, the demo is long. That's why I expected the whole game to be much longer than the announced 8 hours. I was more than surprised that it wasn't.
Also, the real stuff usually happens AFTER the demo. So I did think there was real stuff to come.
But well, as I said before ... obviously I didn't get it and thus it's my own fault ...
Alright. I won't make the same mistake again.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:01 pm

Yes, the demo is long. That's why I expected the whole game to be much longer than the announced 8 hours. I was more than surprised that it wasn't.

It's safer to just trust the announcement though. I have no interest in mentionning a shorter length of time.

Also, the real stuff usually happens AFTER the demo. So I did think there was real stuff to come.

I 200% think the best parts do happen after the demo. When I playtested/polished the game I liked the most all of the ending bits, especially the island part, but also the cliff part, underwater, the boat, the Mohunda scenes etc. These were all my favorite moments and my favorite dialogues.

But well, as I said before ... obviously I didn't get it and thus it's my own fault ...
Alright. I won't make the same mistake again.

I don't see it as a matter of getting it or not, or as making a mistake, just different people and different tastes.
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby kimo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:21 am

I plan on posting a longer, more analytical response in the next few days. For now I would like to say that I bought the game to support Indi's efforts. Whether it is my "type" of game was less important. But I wouldn't buy that Halloween horror game in the past. Again, more specific comments to come soon.
aloha,
kimo lange
kimo
Bounty Hunter

Postby kimo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:09 pm

I would like to offer my observations/experience (USD$0.02 worth) regarding the game. I played in Easy mode so battles took less time and required less battle strategy, and I just “hack and slashed” my way through the game. I also play without sound, so I have no comments on that aspect. I, too, was dying for a good new game from Indi and while I think this game was lacking in some aspects, I will always try to support Indi whenever possible. +::clap

I thought the mapping was exceptional and visually interesting at all times. The extended underwater section was very unique. The character artwork was also excellent and the monsters were unique, too. The story line was good, but one of the character’s use of profanity seemed “out of character”. Or, at least it wasn’t established why her character had a “potty mouth” which is something I have been accused of by some past girlfriends. I am a firm believer that all writing should advance the story line or establish past/future character behavior. I had no problem with the amount of dialog, but I will admit on occasion it seemed too excessive for what it accomplished.

The icons used were interesting, but I got tired of referring to the sample guide. However, thank you, Indi, for providing it. Some icons I would never have figured out (like “blind”). The spell/skill effects also included red/green coloration that was important, but useless to anyone who has trouble distinguishing certain shades of red/green. Red/green color blindness is too prevalent to ignore. It’s like those 10% of “lefties” among us who can never sit to the right side of the “righties” when eating dinner.

In general, the game was different than other RPGs. Whether that is good or bad is up to each player. No gold? No stores? Lack of early weapons? Like I said, a very different approach to a game.

I found the game to be too linear (but I kind of expected it from Indi’s overview) and much like a “dungeon crawler” approach even though different environments were presented. I enjoy being able to explore anywhere I want with maybe a few story-based exceptions. I have played games in the past where I could enter a certain area without restriction, but maybe get my butt kicked because my level was too low. Some I survived, some I did not. But guess what I learned?

I did find a couple of battle strategies/equipment combos that consistently worked for me, but the battles were probably less strategic in “easy” mode. Equipment like the damage controller I kept equipped at the loss of other equipment choices.

Also, I wasted permanent stat bonus items on 2 characters, which really pissed me off. But, only on principle. Seeing the microchip recording of the kitty being drowned was totally unnecessary. And why the first character was killed off was never properly explained. What motive/reasoning was behind the behavior? Why murder/kill the others? This could have been a unique story twist slowly developed through dialog. Maybe based upon a learned emotion like jealousy?

For people complaining about the scantily clad character, at least there was no cameltoe shot. +::biggrin Come on. That’s funny. My issue with the bikini is that it didn’t really advance the storyline. If the nurse had stripped down at one point to swim in her bra and panties to remind the scientist of what he was missing, it could have had a potentially interesting effect on the story. That’s just the way some people are. Maybe that jealousy idea has merit?

Like I said, my 2 cents worth.
aloha,
kimo lange
kimo
Bounty Hunter

Postby Indinera » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:47 am

I'm very glad you enjoyed the visuals because I tried very hard to make them great.
On another note, I'm uncertain/uncomfortable about flat out revealing the motives behind the murders as it should be for players to interpret. But you're quite on the right track. Similarly, I think revealing the murder of Pixie was crucial to the story, I don't see how it would have been good (or even make sense) NOT to show that part in the cut scene.
Thanks for your support, hope you'll like the upcoming Halloween game better than the previous one. It'll be a brand new story!
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby darkange » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:07 am

Indinera wrote:I'm very glad you enjoyed the visuals because I tried very hard to make them great.
On another note, I'm uncertain/uncomfortable about flat out revealing the motives behind the murders as it should be for players to interpret. But you're quite on the right track. Similarly, I think revealing the murder of Pixie was crucial to the story, I don't see how it would have been good (or even make sense) NOT to show that part in the cut scene.
Thanks for your support, hope you'll like the upcoming Halloween game better than the previous one. It'll be a brand new story!

You usually hit the nail with halloween games : witch hunt and FoH were appreciated by most people so there is a chance you get positive reviews on new halloween game too in 2 months .... but don't rush it :razz:
I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I am done.
(David Goggins)
darkange
Bounty Hunter

Postby Indinera » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:10 am

I'm not rushing it, don't worry.
Halloween game will be similar in looks to FoH but with its own spin. Also as I said, a brand new story, with all new characters. And you don't get to play actual roleplayers so often, I'm sure! +::biggrin
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby titaness » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Indy, you know I love you, but honestly, you are getting too far away from your prior exceptional quality. No towns, no real secret rooms, no way to buy items and weapons, too much useless dialogue, no quests, poor plot....I think I'm going to cry!!! I have been replaying your games frequently, but for the first time, I will not finish this game...it's BORING!!!
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, focus on what you do best, and no one can match!! Build on Laxius, Millenium , Dreamscape,
Aasguard, etc. You showed your true genius when you produced those and others prior to this and Fortress of Hell.
Image Image
I must cherish every moment, for it soon will rush away
And be lost to me forever, as a part of yesterday
titaness
PhysicMage of Arkadya

Postby loof123 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:08 pm

titaness wrote:Indy, you know I love you, but honestly, you are getting too far away from your prior exceptional quality. No towns, no real secret rooms, no way to buy items and weapons, too much useless dialogue, no quests, poor plot....I think I'm going to cry!!! I have been replaying your games frequently, but for the first time, I will not finish this game...it's BORING!!!
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, focus on what you do best, and no one can match!! Build on Laxius, Millenium , Dreamscape,
Aasguard, etc. You showed your true genius when you produced those and others prior to this and Fortress of Hell.

TITANESS! +::heart How have you been? I missed you! +::heart

Anyways, on the matter of the topic. Haven't tried this game, wasn't planning to much, but now I won't, because I trust Cassie's judgement more than almost anyone here. It's true that Indy hasn't been producing his amazing games last years, but I don't want to say anything because I haven't bought any of the last ones.

What I want to say is about the behavior here. Indy is right, I saw him treat everyone this dismissively sometimes, I don't think he is being sexist. But other than that, I have to wholeheartedly agree with Cassie and AuntIggy. +::heart You go girls! +::heart
loof123
PhysicMage of Arkadya

Postby AuntIggy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:28 am

AS I SAID IN MY POST MY THOUGHTS ARE MINE AND THEY AREN'T UP FOR DEBATE. I DON'T EXAGGERATE MY THOUGHTS OR MY FEELINGS AND ITS NOT UP TO ANYONE TO TELL ME SO AS YOU ARE NOW TRYING TO NEGATE THEM.
Cassie, this is so exactly what you were trying to say. The whole idea of not being listened to is being proven in this very thread.
BTW - this has nothing to do with trends. Im 63 years old and I don't follow trends that's what people do that don't have a mind of their own or a sense of self or individuality. And if anyone thinks its a trend for a woman to stand up for herself and demand respect and to be heard equally then you are the very reason that its necessary for us to do so in the first place.

Loof +::heart and Titaness!!! +::heart it's so nice to see both of you! Hope all is well. Loof - you have grown up! +::O_o
“It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.”
― Abraham Lincoln
AuntIggy
WeaponMaster of Asguaard

Postby Indinera » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:05 am

Wow Titaness, long time no see! And thanks for the kind words.
If you're all back I have to make an epic game like the ones you loved now lol +::O_o +::shhhh
We're also still missing Dee the Millennium expert... And Alikamou too!
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Cassiopeia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:13 pm

@ Loof - wow, thank's for your trust! +::kiss

Well, Alika will never be forgotten, that much is for sure!
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:21 pm

I wish the old gang was still around.
Although as of late many have showed up, which is great. +::music
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby titaness » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:16 pm

Yep, I miss the old gang , too. We should have a reunion!!!
Image Image
I must cherish every moment, for it soon will rush away
And be lost to me forever, as a part of yesterday
titaness
PhysicMage of Arkadya

Postby Indinera » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:32 pm

titaness wrote:Yep, I miss the old gang , too. We should have a reunion!!!

Do ya mean IRL or IVL? +::O_o +::biggrin
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Inferno - Help and Questions