Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Odessa vs NOTS Differences

Odessa vs NOTS Differences

Postby Kirin » Mon May 30, 2022 8:57 pm

So, I just beat the game and wanted to share my thoughts between this game and Night of the Stars.

First, I can tell this is a spiritual successor to Night of the Stars. But one could say this game is also the complete opposite of NOTS in everything it stands for.

Between Callaghan and Luke, Luke is level-headed and optimistic, taking the time to help people along with doing his quest. The danger was already well-known, he trained himself all throughout his life to confront the danger and he never lost sight of himself or his goals. Even against unsavory foes, he never abandoned his ideals and remained true to his beliefs.
Callaghan is the exact opposite of Luke. He's older, cynical and more importantly: pragmatic. He's not hesitant to get his hands dirty, throw anyone in his way to the wolves and is more single-minded in his obsession to rescue Carla. He'll do whatever it takes to achieve his goals, even if it means ruining innocent lives along the way.

The party members are also different. Night of the Stars has essentially demigods who already faced the dangers before. When Luke gains their approval, they join him and tell him more of the dangers. They have time and experience to make smart decisions. Odessa has the party scrambling to find even a shred of answer to find their destination. Everything is spontaneous with hastily-made plans and trying to figure out what works in such a short time frame. In fact, Rose joining Callaghan was necessary to keep him in check rather than him treating her as an unwanted partner. If she wasn't there, the journey would have ended much sooner with Callaghan's loss.

After the danger was defeated, NOTS had everything end on a happy note, regardless of what Luke chose. This game... not so much:
Spoiler: show
Callaghan and Carla manage to marry, Jimmy succeeded in his revolution, Rose is just happy, Salome returns to her homeland and Rodrigo manages to become a successful soldier.

Davy and Sienna do not have happy endings, regardless of how you look at it. It's never really implied but I believe that poor Davy got traumatized over the whole thing, which is why he never reached out to Callaghan. There's no resolution on Sienna's story either. It makes you wonder if both are okay after being tortured by that insane priestess.

...At least Oscar seems to be happy with Davy.

This game is overall a good experience. It's a complete 180 from Night of the Stars. Props to the creator for good storytelling and battles.

Lastly... Monster Touhou battlers? Really? That was unexpected.
Kirin
Mercenary

Re: Odessa vs NOTS Differences

Postby Indinera » Mon May 30, 2022 9:19 pm

Thanks for your feedback! I guess it's time for me to open a Memories section for Odessa +::biggrin

Yes NOTS and Odessa are very different, Odessa has a stronger sense of urgency despite the more limited timeframe in NOTS. Because NOTS was well-prepared by its protagonists, whereas the happenings in Odessa took everyone by surprise.

And you're right that
Spoiler: show
Davy and Sienna didn't get very lucky, especially Davy...
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Re: Odessa vs NOTS Differences

Postby Indinera » Mon May 30, 2022 9:23 pm

And there you go, if you'd like to post your memories +::music +::kiss

viewtopic.php?f=230&t=10179
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image